The Smell of Freshly Baked Bread

I have a well-known weakness for freshly baked bread (and for cheese). Where do I go in Vienna when I want the smell of baked bread, you may wonder. To a grocery store of course.

Austrian grocery stores know the fact that many people are like me and they try to take advantage of this by having in-house bakeries that bake bread, semmel, or strudel quite frequently. Although I know that this is a trick to make me spend more money, I don't complain. I just love the smell too much.

But not all grocery stores are equal. Here are my views on some grocery stores in Vienna:
- Merkur: This is my favorite grocery store chain. They not only have round-the-clock fresh bread but also the best customer service.
- Billa: My second choice.
- Spar: Although they have in-house bakeries, they don't bake frequently. Moreover, They have the worst customer service. You get thrown away from the store if you are still inside 5 minutes before the closing time.
- Discount grocery stores: There are quite a few of them in Vienna. I think none of them have in-house bakeries.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About HalloWien

"Hallo Wien" means "Hello Vienna" in German, which is the language of the city where I live: Vienna, Austria. This blog is all about the world I observe, from the heart of Europe.

Followers

Photostream